Fescue grass is an excellent choice for properties that do not get a great deal of sun. Fescue lawns area cool season grass that will look good most of the year during the cooler months, but will decline in the summer months. Here are a few Maintenance tips to help optimize your fescue lawn care in acworth, ga during the HOT summer months.
- Watering Watering in the early A.M. hours only is recommended. Fungus problems in fescue lawns are common during the summer on fescue lawns in acworth ga. Watering in the A.M hours will ensure that the lawn dries out by the evening and minimize chance of disease problems. 1 inch per watering per week is in one longer watering is recommended to promote a deeper root system.
- Sharpen the mower blade! – You should mow your lawn with only a sharp blade. A dull blade will shred the grass blades and make the lawn more susceptible to brown patch disease.
- Mowing Height - During the hot months we recommend raising the height of cut. 3 to 3.5 inches is a good idea.
- Mowing Frequency – Fescue can slow its growth in the summer months during the hottest times. Its a good rule of thumb to not remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade per mowing.
- Identifying a Lawn fungus – There are a few different diseases that can occur in fescue lawns in the Acworth, Ga area. Things to look out for are Circular Patches, White fungal growth, and lesions on the leaf blades. Their are many different fungicides treatments available to stop the disease, give us a call if you want to discuss treatment options for disease problems in your lawn.
- Aeration and Overseeding - We recommend Aeration and Overseeding each fall to help the lawn recover from stresses of the summer. We offer this early fall each year and its highly recommended each year for your fescue lawns.
If you have any questions about fescue or any of the stresses that occur in the summer then feel free to get in touch with a professional at Sharplawns Turf Care.